Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Making the Marks

"Zoom"
Acrylic on canvas w/graphite & spray paints
40" x 30" on gallery-wrapped canvas

I've been on a painting frenzy these past couple of weeks (thanks Keith!!) and have edged my way into a whole, new series of works.  They're non-representational abstracts, with acrylics, graphite, and spray paint.  The spray paint is what I use to make the letters and numbers with (think stencils), and the lines and oval shapes are from a brayer and the lid of a deodorant stick.   

Numbers, letters, equations and calligraphy have always fascinated me, and it's been a lot of fun incorporating them into my paintings.  I call these new paintings my "Hidden Messages" -- even though they don't have any special or hidden meaning to me.  Perhaps they will have meaning for someone else, but for now I'm happy with the way they complement the compositions of my work.

Here is another set that I did -- it's a triptych called "Playground" -- made with (3) 12" x 12" canvases.



I think this new series would look great in a lobby somewhere.....or a really cool loft with tall brick walls.  Stay tuned for more photos -- I'm on a roll!

1 comment:

  1. Hey JJ - you're not supposed to let the cat out of the bag and say they don't have hidden meanings to you. You're supposed to look all mysterious and say, 'Why yes, they do have meaning to me, but I want"to leave the interpretation up to the viewer" ;)

    The compositions are really interesting and they do make me want to ponder them, trying to figure out what they're 'saying'.

    ReplyDelete