Thursday, October 6, 2011

Moving On

"We don’t get a chance to do that many things, and every one should be really excellent. Because this is our life."

"I want to put a ding in the universe. "

"… You can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something – your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever. This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life."

"Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice.  And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.  They somehow already know what you truly want to become."

"Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart."

All of these quotes are from one of the greatest minds of our time, Steve Jobs -- a brilliant, insightful and successful genius who passed yesterday, way too soon.  His tenancity and innovation will be missed by all.

Jobs was a man who had a dream and followed it throughout his life.  He never waivered or compromised -- he pursued his passion; created a legacy and built an empire.  To me, he was a true inspiration and example of can happen when you do what you know you were put on this earth to do.  

Yesterday afternoon (and prior to hearing the news of Job's death that evening) I gave notice to my partners at work to let them know I am finished working there and will be out by 10-31-11.  I physically and mentally cannot continue to do something I am not passionate about, simply to pay the bills and receive health insurance benefits.  I just can't do it. 

Amazingly enough, I have not had one ounce of anxiety since I made the announcement.  None.  No anxiety after I met with my partners; none last night; and not even a tiny bit when I woke up this morning.  I don't know if I'm in shock or if my angels are saying "Hallelujiah -- she finally did it!" and are rejoicing in my decision to quit.  My guess is the latter :-) 

All I know is deep inside my gut I know I've made the right decision.   Little things confirmed that decision.....yesterday afternoon my studio mate Dianne sold several of my fused glass items to someone who walked into the gallery.  Last night I slept soundly through the night for the first time in months.  Today, I woke up feeling relaxed and energized.  And right now I'm HAPPY -- yes, content; relaxed and happy.

Yesterday a brilliant genius departed from this earth and it is my hope that my inner muse can connect with this man's muse to guide me in my forthcoming journey and meet with an equal success.  Tall order?  Perhaps....but I'm putting it out there. 

As Steve Jobs would say -- "....have the courage to follow your heart and intuition...." 

Now I'm off to put my own "...ding in the Universe."

6 comments:

  1. I have to admit I was a little frightened while reading your post. Were you trying to scare your friends? But thrilled to hear it is an excellent thing you have done. Best of all you are very content with your decision. Yea JJ! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings JJ,

    I am a friend of Dianne and it is because of her post on FaceBook that I have arrived here.

    Yesterday our evening was very somber, especially for my son as he works for Apple. As I reflected upon several of Steve's quotes, it is very clear that he lived his life according to what he preached.

    But as this post is not about Steve but your decision to follow your dream.

    When I was seven years of age, I know what I wanted to be when I grew up and though I always remained true, it was not until 2000 that the dream became a reality and I was 51.

    Though I cannot complain, I worked for thirty years as a graphic designer and commercial photographer, and though it is creative work, it was not fine art.

    Unfortunately I found myself challenged with eight years of health issues, I am just beginning to resurrect myself. It has almost taking that long to discover the thread who I am as an artist and now I am slowly moving ahead.

    And yes there is a lesson in this, after all the challenges these eleven years, I never lost sight of that I wish to accomplish and though there is far more work ahead, I too am following what is in my heart and what I truly believe is my purpose in life.

    Warmest regards,
    Egmont

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS:
    The decision you made is a courageous one and it shows the strength of your convictions. I wish you all the very best and success with your new direction in life.

    Egmont

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi sweetie. I am proud of you and INSPIRED by you.
    My son posted this on his FB page, " I'm pulling out my black turtleneck today and remembering that Steve Jobs was born out of wedlock, put up for adoption at birth, dropped out of college, then changed the world. What's my excuse?"
    You are going to make more than a DING !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm late in commenting, but I want to congratulate you. I am so glad that Lori paired us for February's bead soup because I am so glad to have met you. I am so impressed by your art work, both your acrylics and your glass and am excited to see where you will go next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A late comment as well - but checked this out after seeing a comment on Linked In - abstract artist group. I too am an abstract artist and we are like minded creatives. Great post, great art and great thoughts! Brava. I too have a blog - check out http://www.ArtEpicurean.blogspot.com

    Thanks again for your wise words and great art.

    ReplyDelete