Sunday, March 24, 2013

For the Love of Jazz - and other things

"For the Love of Jazz"
20" x 20"
Acrylic on canvas
$325

Just got back from an intense 4-day Master's Painting workshop with the awesome Tesia Blackburn aka "The Acrylic Diva."  The workshop was at Hunter's Point in South San Francisco, and there were only 4 of us in the juried class.  All of the students were tremendously talented and it was an honor to be part of this creative and inspiring group of artistic energy.

I began with a series in neutral colors and was planning on sticking with this theme throughout the workshop until Tesia opened a box of historical colors from Golden Paints.  When I saw the "Smelt Blue Hue" and the "Cobalt Purple," I was drooling and having serious color withdrawals.  So when Michele (one of the artists at the workshop) offered me a palette of newly mixed paints that she was finished with, I went to town and created "For the Love of Jazz."  To be honest - I don't really like jazz.....but I see a trombone player with his sweetheart cast in a bright light on the stage behind the piano.  Yes, it is late and this usually non-objective abstract artist is very tired and needs to get some sleep.  But does anyone else see what I see??  Am I even close???


1 comment:

  1. Brand new follower here, stopping by as an A to Z co-host, so: nice to meet you, JJ!

    ReplyDelete