Monday, November 2, 2009

Back from Mendocino


I'm back from another fun and inspirational workshop by Robert Burridge in Mendocino.  It was great to see several familiar faces from the last class I took earlier this year -- including my painting buddy Phil with his twisted sense of humor and neverending enthusiasm.  We painted every day for an average of 10-12 hours per day; stopping for a quick meal in the afternoon and adult refreshments later with the rest of the night time painting group.  This was an advanced class that focused on creating bigger and looser abstract paintings.  Bob really tried to emphasize the use of a theme which I tried to incorporate throughout the week but as you will see I didn't exactly succeed with using just one (theme).  Here are three paintings that I used abstract figures in -- the first one is called "Guerilla Love" and is an acrylic on canvas that measures 18" x 24"


The second painting is called "Exploring My Options" and is acrylic on 300 lb. Arches watercolor paper.  It measures 22" x 30" and has deckled edges even though they were cropped off in this photo.

I really like painting on paper -- I can use a flat surface and really dig into the paper.....you can see the deep scribbles to the right and left of the main figure (the words are just random ones that popped into my head while I was scratching them into the paper).  I can't be this "rough" with the canvas paintings though I definitely try!

I also did this small 10" x 10" figure on paper called "Falling Back."


The second theme that I did this past week was abstract landscapes -- mostly seascapes.  Both of these paintings are small ones -- 10" x 10" on paper with deckled edges.















The last theme happened late Thursday afternoon after I got thoroughly frustrated with the previous two themes.  I went back to my "safe" zone and started painting more fences.  Here are three works that I completed -- the first one is on 10" x 10" paper and is called "Twister."  The second one is currently on display in the main gallery at The Foundry Gallery and is called "Mendocino Fences (18" x 24" canvas) and the third painting called "Peace Garden" is 22" x 30" watercolor paper with acrylics.





Altogether I worked on 34 paintings -- finished 12 and the rest are works in progress that I hope to finish soon.  My studio mate Brenda worked on 20 paintings and Phil finished 12.  As much as I tried to slow down and finish whatever painting I was working on I just couldn't make myself stop from trying something new.....hence the crazy number of new works!  This last photo was taken by Brenda outside of the Little River Inn....here's Phil and myself on a wooden bench that is carved out of an old redwood tree that blew down in a storm many years ago. 




Now that I'm back home again I'm working on my upcoming December show called "Luminosity" which will be held at Arareity Gallery at 1021 R Street. I'm really excited about this show and am incorporating the abstract figure paintings theme into glass along with my new Christmas ornament for this year which will be a candle.  I'll post photos of the pieces when they're ready.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Judy, I remember these paintings. They are awesome. I am so sad that I missed your show. I love the title Luminosity. Let's hope I make it to the next exhibition.

    Johaen

    ReplyDelete